August 17 is recognized as National Nonprofit Day, which was established to show support for nonprofit organizations’ efforts to help people and communities around the world.
National Nonprofit Day was founded by Sherita J. Herring, an accomplished speaker and author, in 2017 to educate and empower others to make a difference alongside the nonprofits working hard every single day. August 17 was chosen to commemorate the anniversary of the Tariff Act of 1894. This Act imposed the very first federal income tax on corporations and included exemptions for nonprofits and charities. Those tax exemptions remain in effect to this day!
Nonprofits provide services to the underserved all over the world. Education, healthcare, law services, and construction are just a few of the essential industries where nonprofits provide help. Nonprofits work to ensure that research, aid, and most importantly awareness are spread to those who need it the most.
Did you know?
- There are over 1.5 million registered charitable organizations in the United States alone, according to the National Center for Charitable Statistics.
- The world’s largest nonprofit is the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, who donate over $1 billion annually to the fight against poverty, disease, and inequity around the world.
- The nonprofit sector is the third largest employer in the United States, trailing only retail and manufacturing.
These organizations work to find solutions to our most difficult problems, and they need as much help as they can get. If you’re curious about how you can help or get involved to support nonprofits, here are a few ideas:
- Spread the word! Share the news with your friends and family, and post on social media using the #NationalNonProfitDay.
- Find out what your community needs. Determining what is needed and how you can help is the first step to improvements!
- Donate to a nonprofit organization. You can research different nonprofits on Guidestar.org and see how your donated funds are used.
- Volunteer! Nonprofit organizations can almost always use the extra hands, and volunteers truly make a difference.
Nonprofits dedicate their time to making the world a better place. Communities everywhere benefit from the work they do every day. Make an effort to get out and support a nonprofit this summer; they can always use your help!
Are you a Nonprofit looking for a bank for handling your business accounts? Reach out to one of our branch teams in your community to learn more about how banking with First Bank can benefit your organization.